Thursday, February 11, 2010

Please don't let me go anywhere without you...

What a bunch of short term memory jerks!

Isn't that what we are supposed to think? I mean, the people are released from bondage, told specifically what *not* to do, then find excuses to do it, and revel in it, to their own ultimate detriment. "We" would never do that, if we were in that situation. Is that what we are supposed to think?

Or, in our own pride and our own stubbornness, is this what we still do to this day. The most enlightened of all of us will still find rationalizations to do what he or she wants to do, despite this object lesson.

The Israelites made idols, got drunk, and suffered. They went through an internal purging, with three thousand paying for their sin with death. Flash forward a couple thousand years, the Son of Man is delivered to us, and our idolatry (legalism, established cultural ideology, fear, schadenfreude) causes us to betray Him and deliver Him to His death. How much had we learned? But in the end, we see that through this, His forgiveness and love is expressed despite our unruly stubbornness.

How do we get over this? How do even the "smartest" of us not fall into this trap? I think, and this is what I have been trying to do by spending time "post-processing" my reading (by pursuing this blog) that it is pretty eloquently summed up in Moses' request to God.

"If you don't go with us personally, don't let us move a step from this place."

Maybe he wanted God's validation for his people, but it is deeper than that. How will any of us ever reflect God in ourselves without God being personally with us all the time? And if God is not with us, how can we ever be well? I know, for myself, looking back at all my past failures, that they always occurred when I walked away from relationship with God and Christ. I am trying to make the commitment to ask Him, always, Please don't let me go anywhere without You, because I know I will be nothing without You. And honestly, I know I don't want to be "me" without You.

It's a prayer. We still have volitional motion, and we can choose where we want to go. But we can also choose to say this prayer, every day, and He will hear it.

If you don't go with *me* personally, please don't let me move a step from this place.

Please don't let me go anywhere without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment